What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
Despite your best efforts and carefulness, a slip and fall accident can happen to anyone. Whether outside in a parking lot, inside at a public business, along a public sidewalk, or in someone’s home, the owners have a responsibility to keep the area safe.
If you have a slip and fall due to an owner’s failure to keep the property safe, you could be legally entitled to compensation including medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
The time right after a fall is very important to your case and the list of tips below can help you in making sure your case is as strong as possible.
1. Seek Medical Attention – If you’re injured in a slip and fall accident, see a doctor immediately. Follow your doctor’s advice and seek regular follow up care as necessary. Keep a folder where you put all of your receipts, prescriptions, copayment receipts, letters from doctors or the hospital, or doctors’ notes.
2. Inform the Owner – Whether you slipped and fell in a public place, like a store, a friend’s house, or a public street, report the fall to an owner, manager, or other person. Request that they make a report of the incident and provide you with a copy of the report.
3. Identify what caused you to fall – Maybe it was an uneven surface, poor lighting, an objector or obstruction, a spilled liquid, or black ice. Whatever the cause is, be sure you know.
4. Take Photos – Be sure to take photos of the exact place you fell including anything that caused your fall, such as moisture, stairs, lighting, or anything else. It is important to take photos immediately because some items, like water, may disappear and some conditions, like a broken stair, can be fixed. Make notes of the date, time, and the weather when you suffered your fall.
5. Witnesses – It is important to get the contact information of any witnesses if possible.
6. Call an Attorney – When considering legal action, you should contact an attorney as soon as possible who can inform you of your rights.